Raise your hand if you like Tex-Mex!
Now raise your hand if you love breakfast food!
How about if you are just looking for something new to work into your healthy meal prep routine?
This ‘Breakfast’ TexMex Scramble is not as easy as many of the recipes I post, but it makes four wonderful servings and makes a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
First, check out those macros!
54g Protein/ 72g Carbohydrates/ 9g Fat
Okay, so it is not keto friendly… but you guys know I LOVE my carbs!!! Also, I don’t cook keto, so this might not be the blog for you if that is what you are looking for.
Now, let us check out the micros! (which are also important guys)
Fiber: 10g — so important for digestion and overall health
Vitamin C: 92% — let’s all stay healthy!
Iron 40% — helps keep oxygen flowing in our blood
What you have all been waiting for… the recipe!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lbs baby potatoes
- 1/2 onion (or you can use a whole one if you LOVE onion)
- 1 green pepper
- About 1/2 a can of tomato sauce (roughly 8oz … sometimes I put more in if the turkey is a bit dry)
- Packet taco seasoning (or get adventurous and make your own!)
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice (avocado is my favorite)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Potatoes
- Pre-heat oven to 425degree F
- Cut the baby potatoes to where they are in halves and wedges. This is a bit of an art… But basically, you want all the potatoes to cook all the way through
- Lightly spray a glass oven-safe bowl with non-stick spray – you can use a pan, but these really cook well if you have a glass casserole dish
- Place the potatoes in the bowl
- Cover in 1 tablespoon oil of choice (I use avocado oil)
- Top with garlic powder, salt, and pepper and toss well … make sure the potatoes are all covered with the oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Put in oven
- Cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour tossing every 15 – 20 minutes to make sure potatoes are getting cooked evenly
Step 2: Turkey
- Chop the onion and green pepper finely — this is really to your taste, I cut mine fairly small, but I still notice them in the mix
- Time-saving tip: buy pre-cut onion and peppers
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil of choice
- optional: brown some garlic (not in ingredients). I do this about 1/2 the time
- Brown turkey… just cook until slightly browned
- When the turkey is slightly brown, cover with taco seasoning. Mix well
- Cook for about 3 minutes
- Mix in tomato sauce, onions, and peppers
- Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes, mix, simmer for another 5 minutes
Step 3: Eggs
- Combine 4 whole eggs and 1 cup egg whites with salt and pepper to taste
- Then scramble your favorite way…. really just scramble your eggs… if you don’t know how to scramble your eggs, comment below and I will tell you
Step 4: Put everything together…
- Divide everything into 4ths and put in your favorite meal prep container.
- Add salsa and cheese as desired (not in nutrition facts)
- See picture for how I do this
I told you it was a bit more complicated than usual. But totally worth it! I cook the turkey and eggs while the potatoes roast. Total time takes me about 1 hour to prepare this meal.
If you wanted, you can always switch out the potatoes for a veggie of choice… I think sauteed mushrooms, peppers, and onions would be a great option. In fact, I might try that next time! This would cut down on cooking time and carbs.
I love this meal and make it at least once a month for my week of lunch. Make it and let me know how you like it …. and as always I love to hear your modifications and any additional meal ideas.