Confession: I LOVE BREAKFAST
I don’t mean I enjoy the first meal of the day. I mean I enjoy all the yummy “breakfast” foods. I like savory breakfast foods like sausage and buskets, omelets, and bacon. I like sweet breakfast foods like waffles and pancakes. I like everything in between… and don’t forget my coffee (and mimosa!).
I have a particular weakness for fast food, greasy breakfasts and often use this as my “treat meal” for the week.
However, fast food breakfast is horrible for your health, and I can’t fix a hearty healthy breakfast every morning. Thus, I rely on making bulk breakfast that will last me all week, and one of my favorites is this sundried tomato and kale frittata.
This delicious dish is nutritious and filling and hits the spot for most my breakfast cravings. I often eat it alone, but sometime pair it with whole wheat toast or turkey sausage/bacon if I feel like I need a little extra. I have modified the original recipe to make this a bit lower in calories and fat…. However, if you want more fat just use all eggs instead of egg whites.
Now for the MACROS…. And the micros
For 4 Servings: 228 Calories, 16g Protein, 10g Carbs, and 14g Fat … and it is a GREAT source of both vitamin A and C (this is why Kale is a superfood!).
1 ½ Cups Egg Whites
6 Whole Eggs
½ cup chopped Sun Dried tomatoes (or more if desired)
3(ish) cups of chopped kale
½ onion (optional)
Garlic or garlic powder (optional)
1 -1 ½ Tablespoon healthy oil (I generally use avocado)
- Oven safe skillet (I use an iron skillet)
- Bowl for mixing the eggs and whisk or folk for mixing
- Chopping boardTime:
15-20 minutes prep (maybe a bit more when you first start)
25-30 minutes cooking
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400F
Step 2: Prepare all ingredients
- Mix egg whites, and eggs together with garlic powder (optional)
- Chop kale (or buy already chopped, which is what I do)
- Cut sun dried tomatoes in ½s – make them small enough to be easily eaten
- Chop onion into small pieces (optional)
Step 3: Prepare Frittata
- In an iron skillet or other oven safe skillet, heat 1-1.5 tablespoons oil of your choice (I use avocado oil, but olive oil is perfectly fine!)
- Sauté onions and garlic in skillet until onions are translucent
- Place kale in skillet and mix
- Sauté for 3-5 minutes until kale has a bit of a brighter green look
- Pore eggs over kale and onion mix
- Place sundried tomatoes on top of eggs
Step 4: Move frittata to oven and set timer for 20 minutes
- Check on Frittata at 20 minutes… eggs should be set in the center. The top will be slightly brown, but not burnt
- It might need another 5 minutes
Step 5: Let cook for 5-10 minutes and either serve or divide up into meal prep containers for the week.
Like I said, I usually eat this either plain or with a little barbeque sauce. I love it plain and is really filling for a weekday breakfast.
You can also serve it with any meat or carb of your choice… it would be a great side for a brunch meal! I want to try it with a sweet potato has soon. Coming to IG soon!
Follow me on Instagram to real life meal prep, daily tips, and my true journey as I fight for mind and body wellness!